These instructions have produced excellent Pinto beans from scratch. They taste a lot better than the canned stuff, more affordable too.
beans double in size
- rinse beans
- cover with water in pan 3″ over top of beans
- bring to boil
- reduce, simmer for 10-15mins
- let sit for 1 hour with lid on
- pour out water
- cover beans with fresh water 1″ over top of beans
- simmer beans for 4 hours, ensure they have enough water always
I’m going to try this on black eyed peas now, hopefully it translates well.